Yesterday I wrote what I thought was a humorous (well, at least I thought so, I was laughing when I wrote it) introduction to another ‘Close Shave’ story and found myself in the midst of a maelstrom! (when was the last time you used maelstrom in a sentence, seriously..I want to know). So I’m breaking my ‘WT shalt not blog on Sunday‘ commandment to address some of the comments I received (it’s not really a commandment, but I like the way it looks like a bigger version of ‘comment’, or someone with a severe stutter trying to say comment).
The point was not about dwindling comments, my numbers are always fairly consistent, it was about how my ‘Close Shave’ posts usually get a good response and it was time for another one. It was just a set up to the post, that’s all, end of story! The fact that there was such a huge outcry (strangely, a lot of it attacking me! can you believe that? and all I wanted was some sympathy) can mean only one of two things, either you’re like me and only read the first paragraph of the posts you read, or you’re a catholic and therefore wracked with guilt anyway. If I wasn’t so dependent on your comments for my sustenance, I’d insult the lot of ya. Hell, I’ve got a good mind not to even tell you if I survived the crash or not!!
On the plus side, it did bring some ‘non commenting readers‘ (aka lurkers) out of the shadows, including a menopausal old bag, who some of you already know, but if you don’t it’s worth a visit, as she’s a very clever writer (albeit a bit sporadic of late).
And while I’m venting my spleen (what the fuck does that mean? can you really vent your spleen? is there actually a vent somewhere?), there were a couple of comments about my non commenting, and I’ve been meaning to address that for a while, so now’s as good a time as any…
You probably recall that I had a ‘mid-blog crisis’ around New Year, where I decided to stop blogging. The reason was largely due to the amount of time I spent wasted at the computer; the bulk of it spent writing all the comments I left hither and yon (seriously, I’m not using a dictionary here). In order to continue with a hobby that I really do enjoy (attacks on my character notwithstanding), I had to make some changes.
Obviously, reading and commenting was top of the agenda, as it took the most time. So here’s the current situation…
- I’m ironic by nature (sarcasm generally relates to the spoken word), so I tend not to comment on posts about the day to day goings-on in the lives of children; I don’t want to incur the wrath of a protective mother for some perceived slight against their child or how they’re raising it.
- I’m not generally supportive by nature, so I tend not comment on posts that are full of woe, but I’ll always give condolences where appropriate.
- I try to be positive most of the time (a struggle for someone who suffers from depression), so I tend not to comment on whiny posts (rants are another matter, if done right, they’re ok).
- I’m a non theist, so I don’t comment on ‘faith based posts’, you have a right to your beliefs, as do I, so what’s the point of commenting? Further, I have no desire to insult anyone by saying something negative about their faith, even if it’s in jest.
- And finally, as I have made a conscious decision to try to (most people erroneously say ‘try and’) cut down my blogging time, I tend not to comment on posts that only produce and extract feed.
That last point may need some clarification. I read all my blogs through a feed reader and some bloggers only produce an extract which means that I have to go to the site to read the whole post. The thing is, this takes time as I have my browser set to force a refresh at every page load (there’s good reason for this), and I don’t want have to load a page just to get the gist of the post. Ok, I know I said earlier that I only read the first paragraph, but again, that was irony.
I cannot stress strongly enough that these are simply the reasons why I don’t comment as much as I used to, and are in no way to be taken as either criticism of, or suggestions as to how you should blog (it was either cut down on commenting or quit blogging altogether).
How you blog is your business, just as how I comment is mine. However, if you are producing an extract and aren’t doing it on purpose, or if you don’t know if you’re producing an extract or not, send me an email or leave a comment and I’ll tell you how to produce a full post feed. And Swampy, the reason I haven’t got back to you is that you now produce a full post feed, so there’s point.
Filed under: Announcements |